Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Build your own rotating composter

I've managed to build my own rotating composter for about $50.
I've always wanted one, but they cost about $300 commercially.

The idea is that a rotating barrel is easier to aerate by simply rotating the drum.
Aerobic microbes are much more efficient at composting,
so you get finished compost much faster this way.

I found the plans for one from the Rodale Institute. Rodale does great work in the area of sustainable agriculture.

The plans can be found here in pdf format.

If you're following the plans, I would recommend replacing the 28 wood screws, #10 x 1.5", with #10 x 2", cuz the shorter ones won't go through two pieces of 2 x 4.

A photo of the cross brace support. A jigsaw does this job wonderfully.

A shot of the top corner. Be sure to put the top horizontal piece on the outside of the legs.

The 0.5 inch notch in the top horizontal piece.

Cut a door in the side and attach a latch and hinges.

Close up of the latch that I used.

I made the bearings out of square pieces of wood. The larger bearing will be bolted to the barrel, and the smaller bearing is glued to it. The small side goes against the frame, i think to limit friction and so that the bolts don't catch against the frame.

Glue the little bearing to the bigger bearing.
You can see the piece of rebar that will go through the barrel and hold it in place on the frame.

The whole is drilled in the "exact" center of the barrel, so that the rebar can fit through and rest on the frame. I got the barrel from a friend for free.

The project should be finished in a day or two, once the glue dries. I'll post photos of the finished product.

8 comments:

Paddy said...

That is fantastic work, Mike. Well made.

Must see if we could organise one for our garden. The standing compost bin can be (a) slow to produce results and (b) difficult to get at.

Andrew Judge said...

Wow, well done. Looks great.

Emma said...

It's going to be great to have. No more having to take the shovel with us every time the compost has to be emptied. Very fine job on it, Mike.

Deirdre said...

That looks great Mike, I'm sure if we can get the right equipment we could make one. Getting a barrel will probably be the hardest bit for us, but we will give it a go. I have sown broad bean and tomato seeds in trays all lined up on the sunroom window ledge.
Some of the lettuce I planted last summer has started to grow again, I thought the frost and snow would have finished them off.

The Dirt Dude said...

Deirdre, I bet roquette would do really well in your area too. Might be able to grow it year-round. Any cool weather crop could do well there for most of the year, i bet. Carrots, onions, garlic, lettuce, spinach, greens, etc. Of course, now you're thinking about summer veggies. You might be able to direct seed beans.

Deirdre said...

Mike thanks for those tips. Roquette is that the same as what we call rocket? if so I would love to go some as it's a lovely addition to a salad.
We have had arctic winds blowing across Ireland for the last few days but thankfully today is much milder. The garlic I planted last week is starting to grow. If the weather stays like this over the next few days I will sow some onion, beans and beetroot. at the moment my space is ltd but I intend to expand it. I''l let you know how I get on.

The Dirt Dude said...

Deirdre:
Yes, roquette is my fancy way of spelling rocket! Same thing. Aka, arugula. Loves cold weather, and like you said, is great in salads. It's one of our favorites. I have some ready for transplanting now.

Also, I guess i was told that around here we plant garlic in the fall. Can you plant it in the spring there? Let me know how it turns out, i'll be interested to know!

msg said...

Nice, how'd this turn out?