Sunday, November 9, 2008

Planted Onions and Garlic Today

Finally got around to amending the soil in my raised bed this morning.
I used the worm castings from our worm farm,
and lots of bags of manure, compost, topsoil and peat.
Here's the flat of onions that I produced from seed.
I've been trying to kill them for about two or three months now,
so I'm glad to finally have them in the ground.
It's hard to see the onion transplants here. I'll post a better photo when they get larger.
Also planted garlic today, too...
Some exotic variety from Seeds of Change.

7 comments:

Paddy said...

I see you have been busy. That looks great. You will have a ready source for those meals and bbqs in a few weeks' time!

Deirdre said...

Looks great Mike, a lot of hard work but rewarding when you are harvesting you own produce.

The Dirt Dude said...

Ever heard of the $64 tomato? I think this is the onion equivalent! But well worth it, i think. Nothing like eating your own food.

Last year i used onion transplants, so this year i produced my own onion from seed. Onion just takes forever, but it is a great use of space!

Deirdre said...

Finally got some green tomatoes at the market last week so Paddy and I had our first 'fried green tomatoes' using your recipe, delicious. Also made some tomato chutney with the rest, so thanks again.

Paddy said...

Seeds of Change is a great site. Wish we had one here.

Fiona said...

We'll definetly have to try onions next year. We had no success with them this year but I think we planted them way too late. The plot looks great and it looks like you are getting a little bit of sun there....the skies in Sligo are so grey at the moment. Have a great weekend.

The Dirt Dude said...

Hi Fiona, thanks for the comment! Yes, it is hard to grow anything without sunlight... But onions might do well, or maybe garlic too. Let me know how they turn out if you try them!